February Wellness Calendar
VALENTINE’S DAY GIVEAWAY
This Valentine’s Day, treat your heart (and your nose) to an arrangement of fragrant fresh flowers, courtesy of Pistil Flowers. Two lucky winners will be selected to receive a beautiful bouquet delivered to their home on Valentine’s Day.
Register by Thursday, February 11 on axiis, Bay Wellington Tower Channel.
Live Stream Yoga Classes
Tuesdays & Thursdays • 12:30pm – 1:00pm
Join us for a series of complimentary classes from the comfort of your own home. The LIVE stream yoga classes will be led by Naturally Nora. These sessions are geared towards all levels. All you need is yoga mat. Just find a comfortable place in your home and use your smartphone or computer to stream the sessions.
Access the yoga sessions on axiis, Bay Wellington Tower Channel.
Weekly Health Tips • Wednesdays
Achieving better health has never been easier thanks to our wellness partners at Cleveland Clinic Canada. Get expert tips on topics such as nutrition, stress, sleep, fitness, heart health and injury prevention every week on the App.
Access the health tips on axiis, Bay Wellington Tower Channel.
Practice Yoga Online Anytime!
Continue your practice from anywhere at any time! Our resident yoga instructor, Naturally Nora has pre-recorded three, all levels yoga videos that can be accessed through her YouTube channel. Flow with Nora at any time and choose between a variety of class options depending on how you are feeling that day. Namaste.
30-minute Restorative Yoga Flow Class – ALL LEVELS
A slower paced, restorative yoga flow class that gently moves you through hip and shoulder openers to relieve stiff and sticky joints.
40-minute Rejuvenating Yoga Flow Class – ALL LEVELS
This practice will cultivate heat in the body and keep your mind focused on your breath and body as you move through the sequence. Towards the end you will feel a calmness throughout the nervous system, allowing you to ultimately relax the mind.
60-minute Vinyasa Power Flow Class – ALL LEVELS
An all levels power flow class to challenge the body and stimulate the muscles. It begins with breath work to help settle the mind and tune into the body. The remainder of the class helps you generate heat and sweat while emphasizing work on the core and lower body.
Access the videos on axiis, Bay Wellington Tower Channel.
PROTECT YOUR HEALTH
Lunch and Learn – Practicing Self-Compassion
Wednesday, February 9 • 12:00pm – 1:00pm
Are you often hard on yourself? Learn how to befriend your inner self-critic, and practice self-compassion to provide greater kindness and understanding towards yourself and others. Join Natacha Duke from Cleveland Clinic Canada’s Psychology team for this final session of our special series on emotional resilience and mental well-being.
Access the registration on axiis, Bay Wellington Tower Channel.
Want to Optimize Employee Wellness at Your Company? We can help.
February 12 and 25 (Choose one of these dates) • 2:00pm – 3:00pm
If you are responsible for employee wellness at your company, join Brookfield Place and Cleveland Clinic Canada to learn how you can leverage our complimentary wellness programs to benefit your staff. We are offering three 30-minute info sessions on how you can empower your employees to utilize the health and wellness programs available to them as well as share feedback on what your company would love to see offered this year. Choose the date and time that works best for you and register on axiis, Bay Wellington Tower Channel.
Express Care® Online
Exclusive Offer for Brookfield Place Tenants
Skip the waiting room. The Express Care® Online app allows you or your loved ones to get a diagnosis and prescription virtually, from anywhere you have a Wi-Fi connection. On-demand appointments are available 7 days a week from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. (EST). Whether you have the flu, allergies or are worried about COVID-19 symptoms, Cleveland Clinic Canada can help. Click here and use promo code BKFDPLCE to receive $50 off the membership rate.
February is heart month in Canada.
Are you showing your heart the love it deserves? Try these 7 expert tips to protect your heart.
1. Take care of your chronic diseases or conditions. Keeping your blood pressure in the normal range can minimize your risk. The same goes for diabetes and high cholesterol. Other diseases, such as thyroid disease, and some medications may weaken the heart. Have regular checkups, follow your doctor’s treatment plan and take your medications as prescribed.
2. Maintain a normal weight. Increase your daily intake of fruits and vegetables. Eat plenty of fiber. Trade red meat for fish, chicken and legumes. You don’t have to eliminate your favourite foods completely, but you should avoid trans fats and eat saturated fats, salt and refined sugar sparingly. Cut back on between-meal snacking or reduce the portions of your favourite food.
3. Be active. The heart needs exercise to keep it in shape. Exercise increases your heart’s pumping power and helps deliver oxygen throughout your body. Regular exercise also helps keep weight and blood pressure under control and reduces stress. If you have an illness or disease that makes exercise difficult, look for a modified exercise program that’s more suited to your abilities.
4. Stop smoking. It is absolutely necessary to protect your heart. Tobacco is very addictive, and quitting is hard: The average person tries 7 times before succeeding. Your chances of success increase if you use three different stop-smoking aids simultaneously. Tell your doctor you’d like to quit and ask for a plan.
5. Don’t drink a lot of alcohol. Period.
6. Get regular checkups. Regular exams that include blood tests can help identify heart problems before they cause a heart attack or stroke.
7. Don’t ignore unusual symptoms. Listen to your body. If you develop any of these symptoms below, contact your physician immediately:
– Shortness of breath
– Swelling in the legs
– Chest pain
– A feeling of doom
– Unexplained fatigue
– Sudden change in exercise tolerance
– Heart palpitations
Kudos to you for prioritizing your health!
PLEASE NOTE: These wellness activities are complimentary and exclusive to tenants of Brookfield Place. Dates and times are subject to change without notice. Brookfield Place and Cleveland Clinic Canada reserve the right to cancel if minimum registration is not achieved.